søndag 10. september 2017

Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)


This time we'll have to do things a little different. Until now I have almost exclusively focused on the positive aspects of movies and television, but today I have to adress something that has bothered me for some days now.

'Twin Peaks' is my favourite TV-series ever. I first watched it about ten years ago and I was hooked from the start. Everything just felt right. It was mysterious, funny, creepy, weird, had great music and I felt at home in a way I have never done before or since. I grew to love the characters and became invested in their lifes. Dale Cooper is in my opinon the greatest TV-character ever made. To watch watch him eat a donut or a piece of cherry pie while drinking some damn good coffee on the side, was just as fun as watching him investigate mysteries in the little town of Twin Peaks.

When I heard they were making a third season I was head over heels with joy and expectations. So how do I feel about the third season, 'Twin Peaks: The Return'? Well, I feel cheated, sad and kinda angry. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity. The timing for a third season was perfect, and so many of the old cast returned. It could have been so great, but it falied to deliver. Too many buildups never payed off. Too many missed opportunities. Too many disappointments. In my opinion this wasn't 'Twin Peaks' anymore, at least not my 'Twin Peaks'. What made it all worse was that David Lynch throughout the 18 episodes now and again gave me small bits hope that what I loved would eventually come back. I waited patiently until the very last minute, and then the ending came, but it brought no closure whatsoever.

Dale Cooper didn't show up as himself until one of the last episodes. And when he appeared there were almost no scenes with him interacting with the other familiar characters. In the original series I had such a crush on Audrey Horne. Apart from being stunningly beautiful, she was just such an amazing character. I hated what David Lynch did to her in this season. The person I saw was not Audrey. She was just an angry, tragic figure and did not play any part in the story at all. The same could be said about several others, but I felt that Audry got the most unfair treatment of all.

I guess the point I trying to make is that almost everything that made 'Twin Peaks' special to me was gone. I understand that other people might love 'Twin Peaks' for other reasons, and perhaps they will get more out of the third season. For me however, it just didn't work.

One might say that I watched 'Twin Peaks: The Return' with nostalgic glasses on, but that's what 'Twin Peaks' is to me. Nostalgia about the greatest TV-experience I've ever had.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Halloween (1978)

The first time I saw John Carpenter's 'Halloween' was well over ten years ago. I had heard so much about it, especially fro...